Tag Archives: food allergy

Living with a Latex Allergy: Symptoms and How to Manage it

Living with a Latex allergy

latex gloveAround 1% of the population are thought to have a latex allergy, with symptoms ranging from mild to severe. The allergy usually develops over time, so it’s useful to understand the causes and symptoms – especially if you’re a nurse or work in another profession where you need to wear latex gloves.

Our handy guide explains from common triggers to how to manage the condition.

What is Latex Allergy?

A latex allergy is caused by the body’s reaction to certain proteins found in natural rubber latex, which is a liquid derived from rubber trees. These proteins are also found in other plants and certain tropical fruits, such as avocado, banana, kiwi, passion fruit and melon.

Individuals can get a reaction either through direct contact with latex products, such as rubber gloves and balloons, or through inhaling latex particles that come from these products. Common items that produce a reaction also include rubber bands and condoms. Read more

Are Sulphites Found In Wine Leading to Higher Intolerances?

Sulphites: A Growing Intolerance

wine bottlesCharlotte Palmer is a food specialist who coaches individuals on how to improve their overall health, soothe food allergies and rebalance digestive issues through healthy eating. Here she discusses sulphites found in wine and how to sooth sulphite allergies.

Sulphites is an inclusive term for sulphur dioxide (S02). SO2 is a preservative widely used in winemaking (and much of the food industry) because of its antioxidant and antibacterial properties. SO2 plays an important role in preventing oxidation and maintaining a wine’s freshness. Although only a portion of SO2 added to wine will be effective as an antioxidant. The rest will combine with other elements in the wine and cease to be useful.

All wines contain sulphur dioxide in various forms, collectively known as sulphites. Even in completely unsulphured wine it is present at concentrations of up to ten milligrams per litre. Commercially made wines can contain from ten to twenty times that amount. Read more